Incoming and current students at Boulder High School can feel more prepared as they start the Fall semester by reviewing the assignments for particular classes. Summer assignments are typically for students in advanced classes or AP classes.
Summer Assignment Policy
Completing a summer assignment before the school term begins offers students several benefits:
- It allows students to experience the type of work the class will require;
- It allows students to self-assess as to their readiness for the class;
- It allows students to start school ready to learn, having “warmed up” on introductory material.
Therefore, many advanced and Advanced Placement (AP) classes will include summer assignments, per the following guidelines:
- If a class has a summer assignment, the assignment will be posted on the BHS website under “Student Programs-Advanced Placement” by one week before final exams start. The teacher may also send a hard copy of the assignment to all students enrolled in the class as of that date.
- If completing the assignment requires use of a specific book, some classes will provide books to check out while other classes may require books to be purchased. In the first case, the student will be able to check the book out from the teacher before the end of the school year (last day of final exams), and the teacher will leave instructions regarding how to acquire books after the term ends with the counselors and the support staff. In the second case, students in financial need should contact their counselors for information on how to access these materials.
- Appropriate assessments may given in the first week of instruction to identify students’ readiness. Students and teachers will use this information to assess areas of strength and weakness rather than as a punitive measure.
Summer School and Other Opportunities
Summer school is available for all students at BVSD to help make up course deficiencies or to keep engaged and enriched over the summer months. In addition to this, students also can take a free Financial Wellness Courses online for BHS graduation credit. There are other online classes offered as found on this website: